Who is a property developer?

This is a person who buys, builds or renovates existing properties for sale.

A property developer can be an individual, a company, a trust, or a partnership.

Add to Bookmarks
Print Friendly, PDF & Email
(Visited 13 times, 1 visits today)

All property developers in Uganda are required to be registered with;

  • Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB) for business name or Company registration
  • Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) for taxes
  • Local council authority e.g. KCCA, municipal council, for approval of building plan

For individual

  • National ID or any other two of the following valid identification documents;  Passport, Driving permit, Voter’s card, Village ID, Employment ID, Refugee ID, recent Bank statement, Work permit, financial card, Visa, NSSF card etc.
  • Certificate of registration (incase you are in business)
  • Statement of particulars and partnership deeds (incase of a partnership)

For non-individual

  • Company Form 20
  • Certificate of incorporation

Click here  for details on requirements for registration


Corporation tax

The income tax rate for a company is 30% of the entity’s chargeable income (gross income less allowable deductions).


Individual Income tax

Individual players in this sector are eligible to pay income tax depending on the income bracket that relates to each.

Click here for more information on the computation of individual income tax


Value Added Tax (VAT)

VAT is a consumption tax charged at a rate of 18% on all supplies made by taxable persons i.e. persons registered or required to register for VAT purposes. The threshold for VAT registration is an annual turnover of over 150 million, or 37.5 million in the first 3 consecutive months.

Click here to register for VAT

Please note:

All VAT registered taxpayers are obliged to register for EFRIS and issue e-invoices

Click here for information on how to register for EFRIS

Yes. If a property developer engages services of an engineer, accountant, lawyer, architect, surveyor, etc. The property developer is expected to withhold 6% of the transaction amount before making payments.

Pay As You Earn (PAYE)

Any property developer with workers/employees earning a monthly salary more than 235,000 per month is required to register for Pay as You Earn (PAYE), withhold and remit tax to URA.

Click here for the PAYE rates

Yes. Taxes applicable are income tax and VAT given that;

  1. The building is a commercial property
  2. The value has exceeded 150 million

Note: Withholding tax will be applicable if the buyer is a designated withholding agent

Click here for information on how to file your returns.

After filing a return, you’re required to pay taxes due using available payment platforms e.g. banks, mobile money, EFT, RTGS, VISA, Mastercard, USSD code (*285#).

Please note: the due date for payment of tax is the same as that of return filing.

Click here to register a payment

For more information, visit the nearest URA office for assistance or call the toll-free line 0800117000/0800217000 or WhatsApp: 077214000

Add to Bookmarks (0)
Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Skip to content