Duly filled and signed Tax Refunds Return Form– DT – 2031. A taxpayer can only request for a refund if the amount is above 5 million Uganda shillings.
A VAT refund can be claimed through a provision included on the VAT return form.
1. Where URA has delayed to process your tax refund without any justification, you are entitled to an interest on the refund amount of 2% per month simple interest for VAT. This commences from the end of the 30 working days during which the refund is processed.
2. You must tick cash refund on the VAT form to claim the refund.
3. A refund audit will be conducted if you are a first time applicant;
4. If you are in a cash refundable position, the money will be deposited onto the declared bank account declared in URA;
5. A person may claim a refund for the output tax paid in excess of the amount tax due for a tax period. This may arise as a result of :-
a) A taxable person’s input tax credit exceeding his or her output tax for that period, where he or she applies for a VAT refund through the monthly return
b) An objection decision
c) A decision of Tax Appeals Tribunal or High Court.
d) Loss of Goods in Stock, CG may grant a refund for the input tax paid on such goods.
e) Bad Debts, subject to S.43 (1)
f) Export / Zero rated goods
g) Purchases By Diplomats/diplomatic missions and international organizations.
However, where the amount of the excess input tax credit is less than 5 million, except for persons mainly dealing in zero rated supplies, CG shall offset that amount against the future liability of the taxable person.
The claim shall be made in a return within three years after the end of the tax period in which the tax was over paid.